Business Hours: 01 8416799 Patrick Mobile: 086 8291947

Additional Important InformationMcNallys Horse Hearse

Death Certificate

A Death Certificate may be obtained from the local Registrar To find out who this is, you need to speak to the deceased persons General Practitioner, Nursing Home Doctor, Hospital Mortuary Technician or the Coroner involved. Costs of certificates are approximately € 10.00 per copy.

If a post mortem has taken place, it could take anything from 3 months onwards for the Coroners inquest report to be established. You should contact the Coroner involved in relation to this. If you need an Interim Death Certificate in the meantime, the Coroners office will issue this but there will be a cost involved.

Bereavement Grant

The bereavement grant no longer exists.

Death Benefit

The Death Benefit is a Social Welfare Grant. This is to help towards the cost of the funeral expenses. The person that is paying for this should apply to the Social Welfare Officer at their local Health Centre – they should bring along a copy of the Death Certificate / Interim Death Certificate and a copy of the Funeral Invoice for this grant.

Old Age Pension Books

Pension Books should be returned to the local Post Office. If there is either a husband or wife left behind and they are not divorced or legally separated, they are entitled to the deceased persons pension in full for a further 6 weeks. However, the pension book should be returned to the Post Office as soon as possible after the death has occurred and the 6 week pension will be sent to them in full within 2 to 3 weeks.

Widows / Widowers Contributory & Non-Contributory Pensions

The application forms and explanatory booklets may be given to a family member at the time of the funeral arrangements or may be obtained from our offices.

Carer’s Allowance

If a family member / friend is on Carer’s Allowance when the death of the person they are claiming for occurs the person claiming Carer’s Allowance is entitled to the allowance for a further 6 weeks. However, they must notify the Social Welfare Officer in question and he will post them the 6 weeks allowance in full within 2 – 3 weeks of notification.

Widowed Parent Grant

A Widow Parent Grant is a once off payment of € 1,270 for a child up to the age of 13 years of a child or a child between the ages of 18 and 22 years in full time education. To find out more on how to qualify contact the Department Pension Services Office, Widowed Parent Grant Scheme.

An Exceptional Needs Payment

Administered by the Health Boards on behalf of the Department of Social and Family Affairs, may be available to give financial assistance if you do not have adequate means to pay for the funeral.


If an estate is to go to Probate it is recommended that a family member / executor or solicitor should do this. If you wish to contact the Probate Office they will assist you in every possible way.

Burial or Cremation

The choice of burial or cremation is yours. There is little difference in the overall cost should the family own a grave. However, if a new grave needs to be purchased, then this can add significantly to the cost of the funeral (This payment must be paid in advance of the burial to the Funeral Director). When arranging for the opening of an existing grave, please provide us with the grave number or failing that, details of the person or persons interred in that grave. We will then make all the necessary arrangements.

Payment of Funeral Invoice

Funeral Invoices should be paid for within 30 days from the date of the invoice. Should a funeral account go to probate / solicitor any available funds in Banking Financial Institutions can by law be paid direct to the Funeral Undertaker on presentation of the invoice to that institution.